kWh Energy Savings Calculator
After making the various calculations for the Saving Computer Energy article, I realized that it would be helpful to have a tool that could easily calculate kWH (kilowatt hour) and cost values. I searched all over the internet and was not able to find a simple tool that really did what I needed. That’s why I made this kWh Energy Savings Calculator. It allows you to easily calculate the cost and kilowatt hour value of various common electronic devices or input your own values. Various inputs can be put into the calculator including:
- Normal Energy Use: The amount of watts that a particular device uses during normal use. This also includes how many hours and minutes the device is being used for.
- Standby Energy Use: The amount of watts that a particular device uses when plugged in, but not in use. This also includes how many hours and minutes the device is being used for.
- Cost: The cost per kWh of electricity.
In order to find how many watts a particular electronic devices uses, you can:
- Select a Common Electronic Devices from the list below. It will fill in the normal energy use with average wattage and hours values for the device selected.
- Check the device’s manual or online spec.
- Do a search for the electronic model number along with the term watts. Various sites usually contain the wattage information for just about anything.
- Contact the manufacturer if all else fails.
To find your energy cost, just look at you monthly electric bill or select your state for an average kwh cost.